← Elenco

 Rapallo, Porto - Via Aurelia Occidentale

In the heart of Rapallo, characteristic property, an Anglican church dating back to 1902 which, once deconsecrated, was the subject of a renovation and transformation into a local bar restaurant in the 1990s.
The covered area is approx. sqm. 1000, garage of approx. sqm. 200, and outdoor spaces of approx. sqm 230.
The property needs renovation work.

The building consists of five floors, four of which are above ground.
Large main pedestrian entrance and second lateral driveway access.

- Basement
The cellars and garages for some cars are located on the ground floor.

- Ground Floor (Sala Minerva)
The ground floor, with access from the garden through the portico, is characterized by a large central room, four smaller rooms and a staircase connecting to the upper floors which occupies an entire arm of the building.
The large central space was modified by the creation of false ceilings and floors at different heights, while in the smaller rooms, toilets were created, entirely covered in marble, and tiled service rooms.
In correspondence with the main staircase, the space for a lift that was never built was created, while two goods lifts were installed that connect the different floors.

- Mezzanine floor
It follows the plan of the floor below, both floors take light from the windows positioned in the apse and in the smaller rooms.
It was largely used as a kitchen and of this all that remains are the tiling of the rooms and the bases of the equipment as well as the extraction channels on the ceiling.

- First Floor (St. George Room)
It corresponds to the level of the capitals and the large rose window: the plan is that of a Greek cross.
Lighting is guaranteed not only by the rose window, but also by the windows that open onto the rectangular spaces of the wings, while the large umbrella vault is visible in the apse. Access to the floor is guaranteed by the large main staircase and the spiral staircase, and by another staircase that connects it to the mezzanine floor.
It was used as a conference room. The flooring is carpeted, the walls are painted.

- Second floor
This last floor (which corresponds to the height of the dome drum) is accessed via a spiral staircase. The flooring is parquet. A central hole has been created in the floor slab which overlooks the room below. This room is characterized by large glass surfaces: the sun is depicted on the ceiling.

1. Total gross area sqm. 1,679.03
2. Gross covered area sqm. 1,211.70
3. Portico sqm. 14.80
4. Technical volumes sqm. 10.82
5. Transit areas, smq. 216.64
6. Covered parking sqm. 210.58
7. External green area sqm. 225.07

Total gross volume of the building mc. 5,284.22

The prestigious building cannot be subject to construction works that modify its external image or compromise the unity of the internal spaces.
To this end, in derogation of the general provisions of the area, only destinations in the cultural, exhibition sector or in any case providing for public access are permitted in the sector.
Alternatively, only the presence of a public catering establishment is permitted.


The building dates back to the beginning of the 20th century, a time when the tourist development of Rapallo was in full expansion, with a large prevalence of English and Germans.
Precisely in this historical context the city of Rapallo decided to promote new places of worship, to satisfy the needs of its tourists.
For the design of the Anglican Church, the engineer Enrico Carlo Macchiavello was called, author, in the period, of numerous interventions within the coastal city.
The land, once owned by Marquis Serra, was purchased by the "United Society for the propagation of the Gospel" in 1901 and already in 1902 the building was opened under the name of the Church of Saint George.
After just sixty years the church was closed to worship: precisely in this period the structure underwent its most significant transformations.
Other historical news:
During the German occupation it was used as a goods warehouse; on May 20, 1956 the funeral of the writer MAX BEERBOHM was celebrated.
In 1985, when it was purchased by a new company, the original structure was completely transformed to use it for catering, reception and conference rooms.
The building is considered of particularly important interest (2001) and therefore under the protection of the superintendence for architectural and landscape heritage of the Liguria Region.

1.500.000 €